Who Gets the Tax Exemption?

It is tax season yet again and if you have experienced a divorce in The Woodlands you may wonder if you can claim the tax exemption for your child(ren) on your income tax return after the divorce. If this vital issue is not resolved as part of your divorce case, then not only are you possibly heading for a hassle with the IRS but you may be faced with additional litigation. Without a resolution in your final divorce order, the IRS will allow the majority timesharing parent to claim the exemption; just be sure to have your evidence ready if you find yourself embroiled in a dispute

One popular resolution to this issue is to have your Woodlands Divorce Lawyer create an enforceable agreement whereby you and your ex agree to rotate the tax dependency exemption after a divorce where one parent claims the child(ren) in odd numbered years and the other parent claims the child(ren) in even numbered years.

Please contact a Woodlands Divorce Lawyer today to create an enforceable agreement to best maximize your dependency tax exemption after divorce.